Subway Unveils New TV Spot Featuring PhelpsJuly 9th, 2009 by Rick
Five. Five dollar. Five dollar foot lonnng.
Michael Phelps is finally back on the endorsement trail, after being shunned by some of his sponsors and dropped by Kellogs, because of a picture that circulated the internet five months back that showed him toking on a bong. The company that picked up the slack? Subway.
With their sandwich shops soon to be visited by hungry stoners worldwide, the ad execs that came up with this commercial brilliantly targeted the demographic, while at the same time, having it appear as a regular commercial for those that lack the radar for pot innuendo.
Some of the subtle clues:
- So… any coincidence that the video feed freezes on a frame where MP looks like a stereotypical stoner?
- Maybe… the looping soundtrack playing in the background — Thank you for letting me be myself again.
- Or… what about the the vibrant, eye catching colors with encrusted shiny jewels?
- Kicking it… Jared watches goofy shit on TV… you know you do it too.
- Easily the most obvious clue was the URL of the Subway website advertised… nice.
- Perhaps the words phresh, phave, and phlavor are meant for the sub-culture circle?
- Or… the use of the phrase ‘The man behind the marinara.’ What did you see the first time reading it?
- The new logo says it all… way fresh indeed.
As Kellog’s stock went down after they canned Phelps’ contract, Subway only stands to profit from their new push into an old demographic that more than likely has been eating at their franchise since its grand opening. Now, the pot smokers will simply go out of their way to eat $5 foot long subs, letting Subway and Phelps rake in the green.